Belmont University

Roswell, New Mexico

PierceWhen I was a kid, I used to look out my window up at the North Carolina sky every night. We lived 15 minutes from the airport, and the direct path to the main runway seemed to go right over our house.

Tucked away tight in my covers, I’d look up and see large objects with flashing lights. All logic suggests that these objects were airplanes-but try explaining that to a superstitious 9-year-old.

To further investigate my suspicions, I used to check out a UFO book from the elementary school’s little library. I didn’t need the Dewey Decimal System-I could walk blind-folded to the exact spot where that book rested.

Alien on the StreetFast forward 10 years and I’m on the streets of Roswell, New Mexico-a small town of 70,000 people that has fully accepted alien, UFO, and extraterrestrial culture. The McDonald’s playground is shaped like a flying saucer, and the Arby’s sign reads “Welcome Aliens.”

We’ve been asking the same questions all trip long-what makes a city unique and what draws people to come here? Well, as someone who is an “unexplained” junkie, I didn’t have to go far for that answer.

For me, the mystery and possibility behind UFO’s is the real draw to Roswell. Science can’t prove that aliens don’t exist-but they haven’t been able to prove that they do either. Do I believe aliens exist? Not necessarily-but the topic is intriguing.

Our first stop was the UFO museum-and things were a little hard to follow right off the bat. We weren’t treated to breathtaking visuals, but rather one giant poster board presentation that spanned across several thousand square feet. (Luckily, plans are in the works for a more impressive facility.)

Regardless, the museum was slightly disappointing in that it didn’t really provide anything new or interesting to a veteran UFO fan.

But we quickly discovered that the UFO museum wasn’t the main attraction of Roswell-stories from the locals were. Instead of being bitter towards the cheesy, touristy elements of Roswell, the town seems to embrace it full on.

Because of the small town atmosphere, many residents during the 1947 crash and subsequent government cover-up are still there. One woman I talked to recalled the story of a friend who was in town when the government convoy carrying the supposed UFO rolled through. Something happened here in 1947, that’s for sure, she said.

However, not everyone in Roswell glorifies the UFO experience. In the afternoon, we met with Guy Malone-one of the founders of a group called Alien Resistance-at the Not of This World Cafe. AR is a Christian organization that is out to convince people that “aliens” are actually forms of fallen angels and have a spiritual connection.

Guy experienced abductions and encounters until he came in contact with Jesus Christ. Ever since, he has been helping others cope with their experiences in similar ways-looking towards the Lord instead of going to a psychiatrist.

After being bombarded with one-sided view points and over-commercialization, Guy’s viewpoint was certainly refreshing-whether or not we agreed.

So, next time you happen to be driving through New Mexico-make sure to stop in to Roswell. And don’t be afraid to talk with the locals-they are the real attraction.

|

Comments

Pierce,

Good to know you are a skeptic. Good post, and good writing, unlike this message. Scully would be proud of you. I don't know about Muldaur (sp?). "One-sided viewpoints?" Hard to believe they exist in the 21st century. And if you believe that, Bill O'Reilly has Obama's fake birth certificate.

Be sure to shower once in awhile.

Thom

Hey guys and girls. I was with you the first day in Memphis on Beale St. I am the one who is wearing the orange shirt in the pic. I lived in Roswell for 2 years. I went to the New Mexico Military Institute and played football there. Your stories brought back a lot of memories. Well hope you continue to have fun on your trip and i'll keep checking up on you to see where your at.

Post a comment

(If you haven't left a comment here before, you may need to be approved by the site owner before your comment will appear. Until then, it won't appear on the entry. Thanks for waiting.)